People ask me occasionally where I find news for the Amateur Traveler podcast. I am a web 2.0 addict in a very serious way. I subscribe to about 100 podcasts (a future post), numerous social networks, 148 twitters, 558 blogs (or other RSS feeds). Since few people are this crazy I thought it would be useful to name some of my favorite travel blogs:
- USAToday – Today in the Sky – This blog focuses on news about airports, airlines and air travel.
- elliott.org – Christopher Elliot’s travel blog covers a large range of topics. He writes a column called the Travel Troubleshooter.
- Geeky Traveler – A blog from b5media that does a great job of covering travel gadgets and gear.
- Gridskipper – The “Urban Travel Guide”. This is a blog that dresses in black and has an attitude. Look for the weird and wonderful here.
- Gadling – A wonderful weblog from Weblogs Inc (which also publishes a great blog for Mac users called The Unofficial Apple Weblog). This blog has general purpose travel news.
- The Perrin Post – A very classy blog from Concierge.com. It’s byline is “Secrets Every Smart Traveller Should Know”
- Exit Seat Row – This blog almost did not make my list because it does not update as regularly, but it is well written and when it does come out it is worth reading.
- Wanderlust and Lipstick – Advise for women travelers but I won’t tell if you don’t.
- Corporate America Runaway – Sherry Ott (Amateur Traveler Episode 107 – Solo Travel as a Woman) is home from her year traveling around the world but has been bitten very hard by the travel bug and I expect her to head out again as soon as she figures out how to make a living being a travel writer.
- Less Than a Shoestring – Budget Travel Tips for People With No Budget.
- A Year In Europe – Scott and Sheryl quit their jobs, sold their home and travelled Europe for a year. It does not make my list because they have come home and the blog does not have fresh content. It is also a podcast and Scott and Sheryl have also been on the Amateur Traveler (Episode 84 – A Year In Europe).
- Six In The World – A normal family who took 365 days out of their everyday lives to circumnavigate the world, and explore interesting places. They are also former guests on Amateur Traveler (Episode 92 – Around the World, Family Style) and are also home now.
What are you reading?