To commemorate the episode this week on the Amateur Traveler (Traveling to Acadia National Park in Maine – Episode 165) I came up with this quiz. How well do you know Maine?
- Augusta is the current capital of Maine, but what was the original capital?
- What president was born in Maine?
- What is a fiddlehead?
- What is unusual about the name of the state of Maine?
- True or False, in Maine it is illegal to catch a lobster with your bare hands?
- How many other states does Maine border?
- What percentage of the nation’s lobster is caught of the coast of Maine? 70%, 80% or 90%
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park was the most visited National Park in 2007, where did Acadia National Park rank in the top ten?
- What is the official insect of Maine?
- What well known poet was born in Portland on February 2, 1807?
- What fruit does Maine produce in greater quantities than any other state?
- Before 1820, Maine was part of what state?
- Maine’s original capital was Portland, the largest city in Maine, until it was moved to Augusta in 1832 to make it more central within the state [Maine]
- Trick question, no president of the United States has been born in Maine… yet. Two Vice Presidents of the United States were born in Maine – Haninal Hamlin and Nelson Rockefeller [WikiAnswers]
- a fern [Traveling to Acadia National Park in Maine – Episode 165]
- Maine is the only state in the United States whose name is just one syllable [unusual facts]
- True, but why would you want to? [unusual laws]
- Maine only borders New Hampshire, it is the only state that borders one and only one other state [interesting facts about Maine]
- Approximately 40 millions pounds (nearly 90 percent) of the nation’s lobster supply is caught off the coast of Maine. [interesting facts about Maine]
- Acadia was the 10th most visited National Park in 2007 with over 2 million visitors. [National Park System Attendance]
- The Honey Bee which is the official insect of the following states: Arkansas, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin [Honey Bee]
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow who was considered the most influential poet of his day. His most popular works include “The Courtship of Miles Standish”, “Evangeline” and “Hiawatha”. [Interesting Facts about Maine]
- blueberries [Interesting Facts about Maine]
- Massachusetts [Maine History]