Hear about travel to the Exumas in the Bahamas as the Amateur Traveler talks to Tess from TravelingTessie.com about these sundrenched islands she has fallen in love with.
Why should someone go to the Exumas?
Tess says, “It’s a perfect destination if obviously, you enjoy the beach. But the beaches, they’re very unique because they’re really unspoiled. And there’s not a lot of crowds. So if someone’s interested in that, it’s a really great destination for that, but it’s also great for people with kids, for bachelorette couples, and friend groups that are looking for a place to get away from it all. I feel like, Exumas is truly a hidden gem.”
Day 1: Arrival in Georgetown
- Fly into Georgetown, Exumas.
- Check into Paradise Bay Hotel
- Relax on the beach, explore the hotel’s surroundings, and get familiar with the area.
Day 2: Full-Day Boat Tour
- Book a full-day boat tour departing from Georgetown.
- Visit Thunderball Grotto for snorkeling (film location of a James Bond movie).
- Optional: Swim with nurse sharks at Compass Cay Marina.
- Visit Pig Island for a unique experience of swimming with pigs.
- Lunch is included in the tour.
- Explore beautiful sandbars, some of which were featured in Pirates of the Caribbean.
Day 3: Explore Georgetown and Stocking Island
- Explore Georgetown, visit the straw market, and shop for local souvenirs.
- Take a ferry to Stocking Island.
- Spend the day at Chat ‘n’ Chill beach bar, known for its fresh conch salad and stingrays.
Day 4: Little Exuma Beach Day
- Rent a car and drive to Little Exuma.
- Explore Pretty Molly Beach, Forbes Hill Beach, and Tropic of Cancer Beach.
- Take an eco-tour at Moriah Harbour Cay National Park to learn about and witness marine life.
Day 5: ATV Tour and Sea Turtle Encounter
- Visit Exuma Point Beach at low tide.
- Morning ATV tour exploring the northwestern part of Great Exuma.
- Stops at Cocoa Plum Beach, Exuma Point, and the historical site of Pompeii.
- Afternoon visit to Hooper’s Bay Beach for swimming and snorkeling with wild sea turtles.
Day 6: Boat Rental and Exploration in Elizabeth Harbor
- Rent a boat from Georgetown and explore Elizabeth Harbor.
- Discover an underwater cave, visit Starfish Beach, and snorkel at a coral reef.
- Explore Sand Dollar Beach.
- Return to Georgetown.
Day 7: Return to Exuma Point Beach
- Visit Exuma Point Beach again, especially if you missed it at low tide.
- Relax and unwind before departing.
- Depart for home.
If you are looking for remote beaches and a unique experience with swimming pigs then the Exumas are worth your consideration.
This episode is sponsored by MasterClass. With MasterClass, you can learn from the world’s best minds – anytime, anywhere, and at your own pace. Get 15% off an annual membership. Go to masterclass.com/traveler.
right click here to download (mp3)
The Exumas – Home to Bahamas World-Famous Swimming Pigs
Hotel Paradise Bay Bahamas
George Town, Bahamas
Exuma Bahamas Swimming With Pigs
Exuma Straw Market
Elvis’s Water Taxi
Chat ‘N’ Chill
Best Little Exuma Beaches
Forbes Hill Beach
Moriah Harbour Cay National Park
Lazy River Exuma – Great Exuma Forum – Tripadvisor
T.T Water Sports
Coco Plum Beach
History of Pompey
Hoopers Bay beach
Sand Dollar Beach
Forbes Hill Beach
The Ultimate Guide to Exuma
Please take our listener survey