Hear about travel to the island nation of Malta as Chris Christensen, the Amateur Traveler, tells about a recent week-long trip to the island at the center of the Mediterranean Sea.
Why should you visit Malta?
Malta is an amazing island country with a rich history and spectacular scenery.
The one-week itinerary for Malta includes the following highlights:
- Take a harbor cruise around Valletta.
- Pick up a 7-day bus pass, if you are getting around by public transportation
- Explore Valletta a UNESCO city, and visit the Upper Barrakka
- Take a guided tour of Valletta Underground, exploring where the residents of Valletta took shelter from WWII bombing
- Visit St John’s Co-cathedral.
- Lunch in Birgu
- Visit Mdina, the old capital, also known as the “silent city.”
- See the colorful Marsaxlokk harbor and Għar Dalam Cave with its pigmy elephant and hippo skeletons
- Visit Ħal Tarxien, an open-air megalithic temple site.
- Visit Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, a prehistoric underground necropolis and UNESCO site.
- Explore Fort Saint Angelo in Birgu.
- Visit Ħaġar Qim and Mnajdra, UNESCO megalithic temple sites.
- Explore the Blue Grotto (weather-dependent).
- Visit Mdina, including the cathedral
- Stop at a museum dedicated to the Roman Villa in Rabat.
- Explore St Paul’s Catacombs in Rabat.
- Travel to Gozo, and stay in Victoria.
- Visit Ggantija Temples, another UNESCO site and megalithic temple.
- Explore Citadella fortress in Victoria.
- Have dinner in St George’s Square
- Visit San Blas Tower and Ramla Beach in Gozo.
- Return to Malta in the afternoon.
- Move to Fortellessa and explore Valletta.
- Visit Upper Barrakka, Lower Barrakka, and Fort St Elmo.
- Relax in the city and soak in the atmosphere.
This episode is sponsored by BetterHelp. Give online therapy a try at betterhelp.com/TRAVELER and get on your way to being your best self.
This episode is sponsored by MasterClass. With MasterClass, you can learn from the world’s best minds – anytime, anywhere, and at your own pace. Get 15% off an annual membership. Go to masterclass.com/traveler.
right click here to download (mp3)
Travel to Malta – Episode 718
One Week in Malta – Why Malta is Worth a Visit
Getting Around in Malta: A Guide to Transportation Options
Malta Landmarks and the History Behind Them
Is Malta Worth Visiting?
Malta Private Sightseeing Tours
Valletta & Three Cities Harbour Cruise
Restaurant Don Berto
Heritage Malta Multisite Pass
Londoner Hotel, St. Jillian’s
Londoner Hotel, Sliema
Duke Hotel, Victoria Gozo
Tritoni Valletta Boutique Hotel
Please take our listener survey